Jun 21, 2009
Jun 16, 2009
Jun 15, 2009
Jun 14, 2009
- Children whose parents ate a healthier diet were three times more likely to have a healthy diet compared to the kids whose parents did not have a healthy diet by a factor of 10% - the other 90% is attributed to other factors
- However, peer influence and television viewing may be more powerful influences on what children eat
- The study also pointed out that most parents don't eat a healthy diet and another study found that most middle aged adults do not eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
- As a parent, we need to either remain committed to a healthy lifestyle or else commit to a healthy lifestyle.
- Involve children in cooking and choosing fruit and vegetables. I bring my twins with me to the store and ask them to pick out something new to try each time we are there together.
- Limit TV or other media wherever possible that advertises to children. We fast forward through all commercials.
- Talk to your children about why eating healthy is important so that they can over time have the knowledge to make their own decisions and combat peer pressure.
Apr 27, 2009
Apr 23, 2009
Apr 20, 2009
Apr 9, 2009
- If you enjoy exercise, you're more likely to do it. Choose a class, sport or activity that you like, or work out while listening to music or watching TV.
- Find a workout buddy to motivate you and make exercising more social.
- Figure out the time of day you enjoy exercising most, and plan it then.
- Don't push yourself too hard, and if you're in pain, slow it down or take a break.
- Exercise doesn't have to be a dull routine. Instead, choose a variety of exercises that you like, and alternate them.
Apr 7, 2009
- Portable DVD players + library = win. My kids have portable DVD players, their own headphones, and we pick up DVDs for free from the library prior to our trip. It's a great way to keep them occupied.
- MP3 player + kids CD books & Music. Again, the library to the rescue. My kids have MP3 players (which you can pick up for about $15 now). We then grab some music from the library along with a couple of CD books - The Magic Treehouse series is popular with both kids at the moment. More hours of keeping them occupied while they look at the scenery.
- Build in interesting stops along the way. We haven't fully determined where we are going to stop, but we have lots of options along the way. Santa Cruz Mystery Spot, Gilroy Gardens, Monterey Aquarium, Bubblegum Alley and the Children's Museum in San Luis Obispo, the beach and Chumash Painted Caves in Santa Barbara. We planned for lots of different options since we don't know when or where we'll need to stop.
- Pack a travel bag. Cookie sheets make great travel desks and can usually be picked up at the dollar store. Then you can toss in paper, crayons, magnets, magnet clips to hold the paper, etc. We also threw in some window markers so they can draw on the windows while we drive and some other little toys (Pokemon cards are hours of fun right now)
- Pack snacks/drinks. Pack snacks and drinks for the road trips. It helps avoid some stops and is significantly cheaper than making purchases at gas stations/rest stops along the way.
- Buy souvenirs in advance. Since we are going to Disneyland, we purchased some little things for the kids from the Disney store near our house which is significantly cheaper than purchasing stuff at Disneyland.
Apr 5, 2009
Apr 2, 2009
Postpartum depression may appear to be the baby blues at first — but the signs and symptoms are more intense and longer lasting, eventually interfering with your ability to care for your baby and handle other daily tasks. Signs and symptoms of postpartum depression may include:
- Loss of appetite
- Intense irritability and anger
- Overwhelming fatigue
- Loss of interest in sex
- Lack of joy in life
- Feelings of shame, guilt or inadequacy
- Severe mood swings
- Difficulty bonding with the baby
- Withdrawal from family and friends
- Thoughts of harming yourself or the baby
Mar 31, 2009
- Always keep a spare fully stocked diaper bag in the car/trunk and include: extra clothes, wipes, diapers (obviously), spare food & drinks, washcloth, small first aid kit, a few toys or books, and plastic bags - in case you need to pack away the soiled items...you don't want your diaper bag to smell bad, trust me!
- If you ever need to give a young child medicine that tastes bad, retail stores sell a product called a Medibottle or Medicine Cup which have a bottle nipple and then a little cup that you can put the medicine in. It's much, much easier and you won't have your baby spit out iron drops which will stain your clothes for example.
- For those of you that don't like to do laundry, buy your baby all of the same color and brand of socks. Particularly if you have more than one baby, this will save you the time and trouble of trying to find matching pairs of socks that are the size of an ipod.