Jun 16, 2009

Weeknight Meals

Lately, we've been struggling with getting healthy but quick meals on the table for dinner. Both the husband and I have been working a lot of hours and we had gotten into the habit of going out to dinner a little too often.

Since I figure that others are facing the same dilemma, I thought that I'd share our family dinner (which also happened to be under $5)

Balsamic Pork Chops

Trim the fat off of the pork chops if necessary. Spray a pan with cooking spray (or oil if you prefer). Put some spices on the pork - I had lemon pepper seasoning handy. Brown the pork chops. Add in 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar and 1/3 cup chicken broth. Let it cook down until it's a nice glaze for the pork chops.

Review from the twins:

Twin A: Yuck. Pork is gross
Twin B: This is good. Can I try it with more sauce. Oh wow! This sauce makes it super yummy!

Curry Couscous

Boil water, butter, and seasonings. Add couscous. Let sit for 5 min.

Review from the twins:

Twin A: How do you make couscous? It's yummy. It's a little spicy but good. Maybe we could play duck, duck, couscous....laughter
Twin B: I LOVE couscous (spoken with his mouth open)

Pan Roasted Cauliflower

I followed this recipe from 101 Cookbooks and it was great!

Review from the twins:

Twin A: Chewing, chewing....Eeww! That's gross. It tasted good at first but no..
Twin B: Blech!
Husband (who eats no vegetables): This is the best cauliflower I've had. I still don't love it but I can eat it. Wait...is cauliflower healthy? Oh (dishes up more), this is good.

We generally can't find food that all four of us like so this was a pretty successful meal for us. (If Twin A eats anything at all it's a successful meal)

No comments:

Post a Comment