The American of Othopaedic Surgeons came out today to say that you should do aerobic exercise at least 3 times a week. If you are just starting out, then they recommend starting with a 15 minute work out with a 5 minute warm-up, five minute workout, and five minute cool-down. Keep increasing the duration until you get up to 20 minutes or more. That's something that every parent can fit into their schedule!
Keeping with the exercise topic, the American Academy of FamilyPhysicians came out with some tips for sticking with an exercise plan.
- If you enjoy exercise, you're more likely to do it. Choose a class, sport or activity that you like, or work out while listening to music or watching TV.
- Find a workout buddy to motivate you and make exercising more social.
- Figure out the time of day you enjoy exercising most, and plan it then.
- Don't push yourself too hard, and if you're in pain, slow it down or take a break.
- Exercise doesn't have to be a dull routine. Instead, choose a variety of exercises that you like, and alternate them.
So keep on exercising - it's never too late to start!